A piece by an old man!

I came across this below piece which is written by an 85 year old man who learnt that he was dying. I wanted to share this with you not because he is right/wrong; not because you should agree/disagree with him; and not because you should do anything about it!

I am sharing this only because I am personally driven by the emotions that are so deep and intense shredded straight from the heart. Its not easy to confront something so depressing and yet afford to be honest and expressive with such ineffable fateful acceptance.

If possible, do go through the below lines from him without judging anything in it and perhaps you might think the same way I do.

“If I had my life to live over again, I’d try to make more mistakes next time.

I wouldn’t be so perfect. I would relax more. I’d limber up. I’d be sillier than I’ve been on this trip. Infact, I know very few things that I would take seriously. I’d be crazier. I’d be less hygienic.

I’d take more chances, I’d take more trips, I’d climb more mountains, I’d swim more rivers, I’d go places I’ve never been to. I’d eat more ice creams and fewer beans.

I’d have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones!

You see, I was one of those people who live prophylactically and sensibly and sanely hour after hour and day after day. Oh, I’ve had my moments, and if I had it over again, I’d have more of those moments- moment by moment by moment.

I’ve been one of those people who never went anywhere without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat and a parachute. If I had to do all over again, I’d travel lighter the next time.

If I had it to do all over again, I’d start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay way later in the fall. I’d ride more merry-go-rounds, I’d watch more sunrises, and I’d play more with children, if I had my life to live over again.

But you see I don’t!”


Signing off for now,

Achu

9 comments:

Abhi said...

Emotion is something which can be true or false.....but true emotion is something which can only come out the way this dying oldman has written......There are times where everday we go through so many if's in our life....but to go through the 'IF' when the life is ending n feel all the 'IF's n wanting to get the life back again, the emotion is unimaginable......Good one bhuji...

Abhi.

Achala said...

Couldnt agree with u more Abhi. Well said!!

Unknown said...

Even I second Abhi's thoughts.. emotions can be true or false!!!

Betaal said...

Ha ha ! Glad to see this. Glad that I am doing all this to the fullest :) And yes - the "Do not judge" piece sounds familiar.

Achala said...

@Ash- yes! and god forbid the false emotion from this entire universe!! Wish the balance strike b/n the priceless 'true emotion' or 'no emotion' at all!!

@Bibs- u caught me Sir:)

Shri-Insights said...

Yes, the old man has rather given his confessions. emotions when negative can be destructive,But it also seems like the old man has clearly come out with his true emotions. There is a lot to from every individual we come across everyday.
Good one achala

Achala said...

True Sridhar.

Lokesh said...

mmm....this is such a sensitive matter!

Well, I don't know what to say actually...but, whatever the old man has said is so much true and that's why life is so precious! It is a chance / opportunity one gets and is a chance to experience the most of it in the best possible way.

Infact, so many people get into so many complications isn't it? But why? Let me not get deep into it....Basically, if one gets to know the meaning of life in the manner in which the old man has written, then I think the way one lives itself will change.

Anyways, in short I would say "Live a life that is as precious as it is, don't let the shine fade!" Again, a very nice one achu!

Achala said...

Lokesh- ur comment reminds me of this sayin- " life is what happens to u when u r busy plannin other things"

Post a Comment