F.R.I.E.N.D.S

I guess I got introduced to the popular TV show across globe - F.R.I.E.N.D.S on the day I was hitting silver jubilee of my life. Before that, my best friend used to always insist me on watching it but, somehow I did not make enough efforts to time it on TV. And then, she gifted me all of the ten seasons on my b’day!

As it’s an irony these days of having million channels and yet a limited choice on TV, one sat’y afternoon I finally started watching it from the beginning to see what the deal is. And since then, I am hooked to it like inseparable buddies. It literally became a part of my life. I could finally see my friend’s conviction and I am really thankful to her for one the best gifts I’ve ever gotten!

From then, I watched it every single day making time for it and used to be my greatest stress buster after day long work and traveling. It rejuvenated me to the core and this routine went on for next one and a half years on a daily basis. My parents were also used to me watching it as my day’s regular schedule. So far, I have watched it repeatedly multiple times and is worth quotable as one of the weirdest things I could imagine myself doing!

In my view, the obsession is due to the incredible characters, superb acting, excellent synchronization in the story line, and most importantly it is so simple and sometimes so touchy. It has all realistic elements which allow one to easily associate themselves to the characters and perhaps, I starting with the right age of watching must be an add-on factor to be more attached towards it. What so ever the factors be, the bottom line for it to get place in my mind is – “It is Funny”. It definitely made me laugh for the most of its scenes with insane jokes and kept my laughing muscles all alive!

As once, I was chatting away to glory on the same topic, one of my friends felt that f.r.i.e.n.d.s is not funny at all! This came in as a hell of a surprise to me!! ‘f.r.i.e.n.d.s.’and ‘not funny’ does never connect according to me. I felt that as a fishy remark at first but later, talking to my friend made me realize that he happens to like Seinfeld better which has more of a quality comedy and is funny. So I suggested him to watch one of the hilarious episodes in f.r.i.e.n.d.s and still he came back telling that there was nothing funny at all about it. This is the guy who has watched f.r.i.e.n.d.s. quite many times and is familiar with the characters and the story. The fact that he does not find it funny dint sink into me easily. I could not think that anyone could find it ‘not funny’. Ofcourse I agree that not every bit is funny but most of it all does make one to laugh out their lungs. While I was wondering on this, he got me couple of seasons of Seinfeld. I made an effort to watch two seasons of it and all I could get was, they are totally different yet both go in parallel when it comes to its comical nature. What so ever, in my opinion f.r.i.e.n.d.s still cracks me up!!

Somehow, till today I can’t digest the fact that he said that. Btw, is there anyone else who has the same view of f.r.i.e.d.s not being funny at all? It does not make much difference to my obsession towards it but, I am pretty much keen to take a toll on my humor quotient…

Signing off for now,

Achu

4 comments:

Anand said...

Your friend has got company here. Though I tried watching FRIENDS right from the beginning and also try watchin it now and then on TV but somehow it never caught my fancy.

But with Seinfeld, its a whole different ball game. :D

Lokesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lokesh said...

i think it's all about what type of jokes make u laugh and who makes u laugh....

and i alos think, u needn't have to see f.r.i.e.n.d.s from the beginning.....u still laugh

Achala said...

Anand- I think friends and Seinfeld are sure shot enemies! I see the pattern of whoever likes Seinfeld cant afford to watch friends. That whole 'different ball game' is something i can never get!;)

Lokesh- sure its fun to watch any episode of friends but do watch it from the beginning- that will get you even the hidden jokes & is more enjoyable:)

Post a Comment